Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Growing Pains

The last couple of days have been rough Mommy days. I would say that we are definitely feeling some growing pains as a family. The kiddos are getting older and the problems are getting bigger.

My son is half-way between 7 and 8, and all the way into big kid back-talk, ignoring, and arguing. My older daughter is just 3, and let's say, feisty.

From bedtime yesterday through this evening, we've pretty much dealt with it all: disobedience, defiance (with a strong "NO!"), dishonesty, screaming, kicking, and slapping.

I love the children so much and I know they love me (and Daddy and each other), but as they say, "growing up is hard to do."

I'll definitely be praying tonight for more a more patient and loving spirit for each of us!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I can relate! I do remember growing up with a sister that I fought with constantly. Aidan has started the defiance and argue with Mommy and Daddy thing and it scares me sometimes to think of what a teenager might be capable of someday. Sometimes I think back to growing up and feel bad for giving my parents such a rough time because my sister and I fought so much. Each day has it's struggles, but know matter how defeated we might feel at the end of the day we are stronger. I think warm weather and outdoor play will help a lot and pray for warmer days to come sooner! Hugs to you! It's so tough being a mommy sometimes, but we discipline them because we love them. I have to keep thinking that. Hope your day is better today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have definitely felt the need to apologize to my parents for any grief I have been responsible for. I'm pretty sure this pattern of children growing up to be parents whose children torment them is the true circle of life!

    I am also dreaming of warm weather when the kids can just run around outside all day and drip ice cream and drinks everywhere and throw and hit things and won't matter one bit. One spray with the hose and all will be right again!

    I'm sorry for the trials any fellow Mommy is going through, but it is nice to know that I am not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely not alone!! Gabe will be 7 this year, but the back talk is the worst. I am constantly saying, "where did my sweet Gabe go?" Graedon will be 4, and he is already starting in on the "NO mommy!" I strongly dislike that! (we try not to say hate). :-) I can say that everyday is a challenge and I learn something new because of those challenges. I hope tomorrow is a better day!

    ReplyDelete