Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Anticipation

We got nearly all of our Christmas shopping for Scott and Anna done early. So, there has been a stack of presents in our room for a couple of weeks. As soon as we got the tree decorated and moved the presents out there, the kids started pestering me to allow them to open just one small present early.

I have been greatly entertained by the bargaining techniques Scott is employing.

First, he thought we might be able to exchange gifts so that he would get one of his presents. What did he offer me? A stuffed dog that Chris had given to me many years ago and Scott claimed from me as a baby. Needless to say, I was not tempted to accept one of my own belongings.

So, he tried a new tactic. He is very good at doing school, but (I think it's a boy-thing) he does not really care for any exercises involving writing. Since he's in first grade, there is a lot of practice at writing. He suggested that maybe I would give him an early present if he did his work without complaining. Maybe that would be considered reverse-bribery?!?

Finally, since his previous attempts were failures, he got desperate. He offered to pay me to give him a present. How much is a Christmas present worth to a seven year old? In his own words, "How about if I pay you....maybe a quarter....and you can give me a small present?"

He has been a little upset that he hasn't gotten an early present. But, I have to admit, that I am actually enjoying seeing him try so hard. I'm glad that he's very excited, and I think that he won't be let-down come Christmas morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment