Thursday, September 3, 2009

Easing into it...

Our first week of school is almost over and, as a whole, I would rate it as successful. We've had a few bumps--it is a bit difficult to keep Anna busy, Lizzie has had her moments of fussiness, and Scott does get bored with an activity if it takes too long.

Overall, I am pleased with how we are managing. So far we have gotten everything done I have planned. I have the work planned out so that over the course of a couple weeks we work up to a full schedule of the subjects.

We have spent about 2 hours a day doing work thus far, covering reading, phonics & writing, math, and science. We will also be covering geography, art, music, and hopefully Spanish. Reading, phonics, and math will all be covered daily and each of the other subjects will be covered 1, 2, or 3 days per week.

We have not completely settled into a routine time-table. The time that we have worked each day has really depended on what else we are doing and what Lizzie's mood is. I would prefer that we get the bulk of our work done in the morning before lunch time, but that has not worked every day yet. Yesterday we did about half before lunch and half after. Today we were not able to start at all until after lunch. I'm sure after a few weeks we will have settled into a more regular schedule.

I will work on another post to talk about what books I have chosen to use for this year as well, for those who might be interested. I think it is immensely helpful to exchange ideas with each other and learn from the experiences of others. Even if you don't homeschool, I'm sure there are things we do that might interest you, just as I would love to hear any other ideas from parents about the kinds of activities they enjoy doing at home!

1 comment:

  1. What I am struggling most with is keeping Gracie occupied. I have a few simple activities that interest her, but she would prefer to do what Lillie is doing. We try to do most of table time during nap to help alleviate that issue though. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete