Thursday, January 1, 2009

This New Year

Happy New Year! Most of my friends on MySpace are now using blogger so I am joining them. It seems appropriate to start a new blog on New Year's Day. Because my two oldest children are staying with their Mamaw this week, I actually have a bit of time to get started.

I've never been one to make New Year's resolutions (it seems like setting yourself up for disappointment) but I think it's a good idea this year. For the past few years we have had an event we were planning for or expecting (a move, a new baby, or a new house). But this year there are no major events on the horizon to work towards, so I would like to focus on changing some of the everyday details of our life.

To start with, I would love to give each of the kids a little bit of undivided attention. Even if it's only a few minutes, I think they deserve to know there will be time for them, when they don't hear, 'Not now,' or, 'Quiet please--I'm putting the baby to sleep.' They should get a few minutes when they can tell me the whole story and I will look at them while they talk instead of hurrying them along with, 'Uh-huh,' and a head-nod.

This will be my first of many goals. Maybe by taking them one at a time, at the end of the year I can look back pleased with how I've grown as a wife, mother, and Christian, and not be disappointed with myself and putting the same things on a list next January 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment